Microsoft is investigating the problem associated with KB 977165. Many people reported that after installing this update they get a BSOD.
It seems that this happens if your computer is infected by Alureon Rootkit. Microsoft has even change the update so it can detect if your computer has been infected, as we can read here you can see the following error codes:
- 0x8007F0F4 (For Windows XP, Windows Server 2000 and Windows Server 2003)
- 0XFFFFFFFF (For Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7)
They release a program that can test if you you are infected in some way.
If something of the above happens to you what you must have to do in the first place is get rid of that virus.
1. You need Microsoft Security Essentials, download it from this location:
2. If you have Alureon maybe you have more malware so download an antispyware program:
3. Install both, remember you need a genuine Windows to install Security Essentials. If you have a valid key but your windows is not validated read this:
4. You have to update the antivirus, this is the most important part of this solution. As you can see in this page Microsoft Antivirus can scan it since October,2009. The program try to update itself when installs but you can do it manually.
Go to the Update tab and select update. If you encounter problems maybe you can solve it using this solution:0x80248014 Error Code Updating Microsoft Security Essentials
5. You have to update SuperAntispyware. As Microsoft Security Essentials it updates when it installs.
6. Now you have your tools ready to fight the virus, but this kind of virus install it on memory and are invisible so you need to enter on Safe Mode. Follow the following solution if you don’t know how:How To Enter In Safe Mode Without Using F8
7. Scan the computer using SuperAntispyware and Microsoft Security Essentials. You have to do it several times so at the end they don’t find anything at all.
8. Go to Windows Update and update your computer.